Acupuncture and stress. Acupuncture has been researched in fertility space about how reduce stress of people when trying to conceive either naturally or going through fertility treatment. These outcomes of course relate to all persons, of course. So whether or not you are trying to conceive acupuncture can be great adjunctive treatment to reduce stress and anxiety.
Acupuncture can influence stress via its effect on:
- T-cell and cytokine levels.
- Increases levels of endogenous opioids, such as endorphins, met or let encephalins and serotonin.
- Reduces cortisol and adrenaline levels.
“Acupuncture significantly reduces stress and anxiety of IVF”
- Smith et al, Fertil Steril. 2006;85(5):1352-1358.
- de Lacey et al, BMC Complement Altern Med. 2009;9:50
- Domar et al, Fertil Steril. 2009;95(7):2269-2273
- Balk et al, Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2010;16(3):154- 157
- Isoyama et al, Acupunct Med. 2012;30(2):85-88